Very Laura-centric AGM weekend report

October 7, 2015
This text was imported from a prior version of the site to preserve historic content. Formatting and images have not been preserved, and links may not work. In some cases, imported content may not be decipherable. If you are looking for an old Clapper or Annual Report, it might be best to check their respective pages.

Disclaimer: Totally subjective, not official in any way. When a better report shows up, I can delete this one.

We didn’t go to the course, so we arrived on Friday afternoon. We missed Alan Hughes’s steeplekeeping class.

St Mark’s Cathedral in Shreveport fulfills the role of Cathedral, including hosting an elementary school, but it also acts like a parish church, so there is a Sunday school building as well. Access to the tower is from this part of the building. There are regular sturdy stairs (no ladders, no creaking) up to the ringing room, which is well-arranged, has lots of natural light, a couple of closets (!), and air conditioning, for people who like that sort of thing. The bells go well, and we felt over the weekend that the striking was quite good, even though a lot of method mistakes were made (not all method mistakes were made by me, but many of them were). There was some doubles and minor ringing, but most seemed to be on all eight bells, including some surprise. Everyone was accommodated. There were rounds and call changes, mostly called up (imagine the worried faces I was making trying to call them that way, but middle-school aged Nathan from Houston did a good job of following my instructions, having only tried it a few times before). There were quarters. Nick and David had driven down from Toronto with Mike’s “Smoke Ring,” and the mini-ring was set up in the back of the sanctuary. I’m not much of a mini-ring person, since it involves not reaching all the way up at backstroke, among other things, but I got better, to the point of being able to hunt. Even though they are tiny and can swing around quickly, it works better for method ringing (and striking) to slow down and leave some space. An interesting news item is that they are going to go back via Montreal, where it will be set up for a while, so that the handbell group at the Cathedral can have some “tower” experience.

Friday night’s dinner was at the home (farm?) of Lennis. The caterer had done a great job of making traditional Louisiana/southern food while still having some of it be edible food for the vegetarians and vegan.

Saturday there was a really nice communal breakfast provided by the ringers and parishioners. After that, there was a lot of ringing. Arthur and I lengthened our lunch break enough to attend part of the Red River Revel arts festival in downtown Shreveport, our token tourism of the trip, and then stopped by a yarn shop so that I’d have something to do while attending the meeting (in addition to paying attention, of course). The minutes will be posted, but a good chunk of the meeting dealt with money. The proportion of people who are senior, students, or religious community members compared to the adults who pay full membership is getting ever higher, so for the total number of people, we’re taking in less money. The Canadians feel that it’s unfair for their dues to go up as result of unfavorable dollar to dollar exchanges. Printing costs a lot of money. Stuff like that. One of the things the guild uses its money for is to give a starter set of ringing books to new towers. A set each was formally donated to the new Virginia and Rochester groups. The consecration at Virginia Theological Seminary is October 13th and the dedication of the Rochester bells will be November 21st. Then there was another dinner that couldn’t be beat, except for a few slip-ups (the servers forgot to put out butter, little stuff like that) and the air conditioning was making the place too cold. The dinner was held at Centenary College. Their chorus sang for us.

On Sunday, we joined the excursion to First Presbyterian at Texarkana. They bells are a very lightweight eight, with a small ringing room. They are high-pitched but sound nice and carry for a couple of blocks down the street. There is a video from Sunday on the church’s Facebook page.

A worrisome thing is that there are no longer enough ringers there for regular ringing.

After service ringing, we left to head for the airport and home, missing the afternoon’s ringing and a potluck supper of leftovers from the previous days, among other things.